Helping a friend or a loved one get out of jail temporarily through the posting of bail can leave a massive dent on one’s budget. The question here is whether there are ways to minimize the amount that you put out.

The answer is yes, although that will depend on a few circumstances.

When it comes to bail bond financing, there are a few options that you can explore to minimize the amount that you need to pay.

For instance, you can make a request to the court to release your friend or relative on his own recognizance. Take note that the court will need to look at the history of the defendant as well as his risk for flight or not attending his court hearings. If the risk is low and the accused has generally been a good citizen, he may be released on his own recognizance and does not need bail.

The defendant may also request for a citation release or cite out. This is applicable for less serious offenses.

Now, if the court has set a bail, you can request the court for a motion to modify a bond. More often than not, judges and prosecuting lawyers will agree to minimize the amount of bail but the defendant must agree to a few terms. This may include staying away from the victim, undergoing counseling, or even undergoing house arrest.

The defendant may also request for an unsecured bail where he does not need to put up a collateral or money. Instead, the defendant needs to pay the bail in full. The court will then forfeit the money should the defendant fail to show up in court.

You may also try to obtain financing from banks. Some bail bonding agencies also offer financing options. For the latter, you have to show proof, often in the form of paychecks, which will show that you are capable of making the payments.

What if you cannot afford to post bail or bail bonds for a relative or friend? What if you do not have the collateral needed for the bail?

What Are Your Options for Bail Bond Financing

There are a few options that you can explore. Again, you can ask your loved one’s lawyer to make an appeal to lower the bail initially set by the court. He may also file an appeal notifying the court of the defendant’s lack of funds.

You may also try getting help from not-for-profit organizations that can help you in securing the funds needed for the bail of a loved one.
Another option that you can explore if money is tight is opting for what is sometimes called as signature bonds. This type of bond does not require collateral and you can secure one by paying a fee and affixing a signature.

Now, if you have missed a court hearing, typically, the court will forfeit the money you have put up. However, there are some jurisdictions that allow bail re-assumption. Here, the defendant can request for the re-assumption of the bail that has been forfeited.